If you wish to join our practice please call us during opening hours or complete and submit the form.
Your initial consultation appointment will be 30 minutes long.
When you arrive you will be welcomed by one of our reception staff and given a confidential medical questionnaire to fill in to ensure that you are looked after safely.
During your consultation we will LISTEN, LOOK, DISCUSS.
LISTEN to your reasons for coming to see us.
- Are you in pain?
- Are you anxious about dental treatment?
- What have been you previous experiences at the dentist?
- Are you wondering how your teeth will be in the future?
- Have you had previous dental problems?
- Would you like your teeth to look more attractive when you smile?
- We will assess your general health
- We will examine your jaw joint
- We perform a cancer screening of the soft tissues, face and neck
- We look at your teeth of course, recording past treatment and present condition
- We look at the soft tissues of your mouth because these may detect signs of a general illness
- We look at your gum health. As gum disease is the main cause of tooth loss in adults we look for signs of gum bleeding, plaque build-up, loose teeth, food traps and bad breath
- X-rays will be taken where clinically necessary to check the areas of tooth we can’t see directly, and to check the health of the tooth roots and surrounding jaw bone.
After the examination we talk about dental care on 5 levels:
||Do we have to do anything today?
- place a temporary dressing if a filling has come out
- smooth a tooth that is rubbing your tongue
- prescribe an antibiotic if an infection is present
This covers whatever is needed to restore you mouth to a high standard of health.
||Future Dental Needs
We will discuss what may need to be done in future years. There may be signs of wearing or discoloured fillings, crowns beginning to loose their fit or showing black lines. There may be gaps which could be restored with bridgework or implants, or teeth that are wearing down.
As dentists we are spending more and more time responding to our patients requests to improve their smile. Our patients no longer have to avoid smiling on photographs, or cover their mouth when smiling. Teeth can now be whiter and more even, giving you a more confident smile, often without any tooth destruction or drilling at all.
|| Ongoing MaintenanceThis is how frequently you should have examinations, hygienist appointments and x-rays to keep your mouth as healthy as possible. We will also discuss the best preventative measures you need to use at home to maintain your dental health.
You will then be provided with a written treatment plan and a costing for any proposed treatment.